Thursday, January 22, 2009

How Do You Manage?

I just visited a the Signing Time website (an excellent resource for parents who want to teach their infants, toddlers, and preschoolers to sign). I get their weekly emails and this particular one stood out to me! It was entitled, "My Life IS..." She was talking about how she described her life as "hard." She chose, in the end, to say my life is an unexpected adventure. She challenged us to come up with different words to describe our lives. Well, here's what I posted:

I get the emails from Signing Time and occasionally open them and read what is
"going on." This particular time, I found it to be totally "intriguing." It spoke to me and how I feel! I don't really have a problem with the word "hard." In fact, my cousin told me not use it - but the fact is - hard is what describes it. The dictionary has many definitions and for me my life is difficult to manage or control. Although, I love your angle. I think we are saying similar things or better yet, taking a better attitude. Life becomes easier - or more manageable when you go with the flow instead of against it. I expect difficulties and therefore I am able to better deal with them. Thank you for this insightful blog. I have decided to say:

My life IS!!! It is what it is. The verb to be is very powerful and I choose to be in the now and go with the flow...and enjoy the ride today (because I know waves are coming). My life IS!!!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

This question takes me in so many directions..."how do I manage the upkeep of my home, ...not having enough of this or that...all that life throws at me...." But clearly, self-management is the most difficult for me; whether it's deciding to eat the right foods, curbing that curse word before it comes out of my mouth, or just being kind to myself with positive self-talk.

For the most part, I guess my answer is similar to yours--I do what I have to do to MANAGE a difficult moment, hour, day --I "go with the flow." This is what we've been trained to do as women and moms-- we manage situations as they arise.

I realize that sometimes I handle difficult situations to my advantage, however many times I don't. Needless to say, there's a lesson attached to mismanagement. But I'm learning to be less hard on myself than I am on other people.

Gosh, life is difficult. I'm not as optimistic as those whom I admire. I don't always see the glass as half full, but I usually try to make the best of a bad situation. I think many of us do as managers.

I try to live by the cliche' "when life serves you lemons, make lemonade." And like the lemonade, some days are sweeter than others.

Thanks for this blog. Tomorrow I'll pay more attention to how I "manage" my day.