Saturday, June 6, 2009

Good Girl Gone Bad?

We live our lives we follow rules...we do as we're told...to become good tools...for whom?
We learn religion...we learn politics...but I just gotta say...I'm kinda sick...of whom?
Everybody I read about, hear about, learn about, come to think about it...every great person was and is surrounded by controversy.
They went against the grain...they were anything but plain...so why again I am walking this tight line...is the question that remains.
It makes me think, it makes we wonder...what spell am I constantly under, that I for a second doubt my beauty...dictated by the clothes I wear...whether or not I cover my hair...everything is real baby...can you get the feel baby of what I'm saying.
Just going with the flow today...tomorrow may get another play...I'm a good girl 'til the end, but just had to ask the question my friend...how good is a good girl or how good can a good girl be if she will ever be GREAT?!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow! This hits home!

It's a constant struggle to just happily coexist without being judged about things that other people scrutinize, i.e., the clothes I wear-- or that I don't wear; how I style my hair (okay, I still rock a perm-- frequently pulled back into a pony tail mind you. But sometimes I feel bold and I choose to let it "blow in the wind"); or how often I attend mosque meetings (is this a fair standard of measurement?).

Truth be told, I DO SEE MYSELF AS A GOOD GIRL; MORAL AND DECENT, STRIVING TO TEACH MY CHILDREN TO BE KIND AND HONEST AND TO OBEY THE LAWS OF GOD, AND AT THE SAME TIME--SHOWING OTHERS OF HOW I WANT TO BE TREATED.

I don't think of myself as "bad" (although sometimes I do feel inadequate for not filling the big shoes that I and others suggest I fill. I could be doing so much worse in this wicked world that caters to low morality. WHO couldn't stand to improve?! I believe the bigger, nastier issues are what would condemn me to the "bad girl" list.

I know that I'm still a baby--spirtually--I'll continue to grow and develop in understanding. I humbly ask that the criticising folks not judge me so quickly; remember that though YOU might not see my works, it doesn't mean that I'm idle.

If I depart this earth today, I feel comfortable with who I am--morally. Though I have goals that I have yet to reach, I believe that I have positively touched people's lives. And for that, The Almighty, Merciful One smiles on me!

Niambi Shalewa said...

I hear you loud and clear! Thanks for responding!